Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Radical Living: I want MORE of YOU, God!

     I recently began reading the book Crazy Love by Francis Chan, and I have been overwhelmed by its power and truth. I just finished the chapter called "Profile of the Lukewarm". Prior to reading this chapter, I honestly did not see myself as a lukewarm Christian. However, Chan writes that "Lukewarm people call 'radical' what Jesus expected of all His followers." This quote really spoke to and convicted my heart. God expects me to live radically for Him. I suddenly became curious, what exactly does it mean to be radical? My search came up with three definitions.

1.) "arising from or going to a root or source; basic"
2.) "departing markedly from the usual or customary; extreme"
 3.) "favoring or effecting fundamental, revolutionary changes in current practices, conditions, or  institutions."
    
     I was in absolute awe of God after reading these definitions. In order to live a radical life for Christ, I must first get back to the basics. This reminded me of Revelation 1:8 in which God says, "I am the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending." God is the source of all things. He was here before time began, he set the earth into motion. He set the stars in place; he counted every strand of hair on my head. He is the author and finisher of my faith. So, in order live radically I must first “arise” from Christ. Colossians 3:1 says, "If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above..." This brings me to my second point. In order to live a radical life for Christ, I must be set apart. James 1:21 says to "lay part" the things of the world and set our focus on God. 1 Peter 2:9 tells us that we are a "chosen generation" and a "peculiar people". Some people may call living a radical life for Christ strange or extreme, but "strange" is exactly what God desires of us. He called us to be a peculiar people. He wants us to stand out from the crowd. The final step to becoming a radical follower of Christ is the ability to make a revolutionary change in the world. God created us each with a particular purpose in mind that only we can fulfill. That particular purpose is your revolutionary change. Romans 12:1-2 tells us how to fulfill our purpose, how to fulfill God’s will for our life. It says we must first surrender our lives to Christ as a living sacrifice. It then says we must not be conformed to the world, but be transformed. If you want to live a radical life for Christ, then Romans 12:1-2 should be your mission statement. It is one of those important verses to memorize. Write it down on a piece of notebook paper and hang it on the fridge, write it on a note card and stick on the dashboard of your car, write in on a post-it note and stick it to your bathroom mirror. Let the words of God sink in and minister to your soul. Let it be a reminder to you of the radical life you should be living daily for Christ.
     After reading these definitions and pondering on them for a while, I suddenly had a desire for more of God. I was no longer satisfied with my spiritual walk. Being "good enough" didn't seem good enough anymore. I wanted to live a radical life for Christ. With this newfound fire in my heart, God began to speak. He showed me exactly what it meant to be a radical follower of Him...
  • Radical Christians don't just talk about visions, they make them reality.
  • Radical Christians don't just talk about helping those in need; they willingly reach out a helping hand.
  • Radical Christians don't just say they will pray for you, they drop to their knees at that very moment.
  • Radical Christians don't just say what they believe, they live it daily.
  • Radical Christians don't pray to be heard, they pray out of complete surrender to the omnipresent God.
  • Radical Christians don't worship to be seen, they worship out of devotion to the Lord of all.
  • Radical Christians don't skim over a few verses and call it bible study; they immerse themselves daily in the word of God.
  • Radical Christians don't repent to be free of guilt; they repent as a means of purifying their hearts before entering the presence of a Holy God.
  • Radical Christians don't second guess God, they trust fully in his plan for their lives.
  • Radical Christians don't have a Plan B; they place their faith fully in the arms of an all-powerful God.
  • Radical Christians don't offer God small parts of their lives; they present themselves as a living sacrifice, devoted to obeying the will of God.
  • Radical Christians don't dwell in the past; they look to the future with hope in their eyes.
  • Radical Christians don't give expecting to be rewarded; they give as a means of giving back to the One who gave them all.
  • Radical Christians are not satisfied with complacency; they constantly thirst after more of God.
  • Radical Christians are not afraid to stand up, speak out, and take action for their beliefs.
  • Radical Christians carry their cross daily and follow God without hesitation, without looking back.
  • Radical Christians are not perfect in any sense of the word, but they strive daily to please the only One who ever reached perfection.
  • Radical Christians fail God on a daily basis, but when they stumble they don't let it get them down. They turn back to God, repent, learn from their mistakes, and keep pressing onward.
  • Radical Christians humble themselves daily before the reverent God and live with the sole purpose of bringing Him glory.

1 comment:

  1. Karis...my precious Karis! WOW...you cease to Amaze me! You keep writing and I will keep reading! You allow God to work through you and continue inspiring others! WOW... what an inspiration! I love you more than you could imagine! ~Aunt LeeLee

    ReplyDelete