Friday, January 7, 2011

Perfectly Imperfect

     I am not perfect. Every day I fail God in one way or another - it is a simple Biblical truth. Romans 3:23 tells us "all have sinned and come short of the glory of God." God saved my life four years ago and I still don't fully understand the depth of His love. I can't comprehend how a perfect God could love me despite my many imperfections, or how He could use my imperfections for His glory. But that is exactly what He does.

"Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen."
Hebrews 13:20-21
     
     1 Corinthians 1:27 tells us that God has chosen the foolish things of this world to confound the wise. This verse has proved true time after time in my life. God loves me and He chose me, with all my foolish imperfections, because he has a perfect plan for my life. Jesus tells us in Matthew 5:48 to "be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." My life will never be perfect on this side of Heaven, but while I'm here I can work through my imperfections towards the perfect plan God has for me. Hebrews 2:10 says that our salvation is made perfect through suffering, but Psalms 37:37 says that the lives of the upright will end in peace. Matthew 19:21 tells us that in order to be perfect (meaning: complete in various applications of labor, growth, mental, and moral character) we must follow Jesus and give to those in need. This form of perfection, the perfection that is only available through the forgiveness and salvation of Jesus Christ, is how we will receive our treasure in Heaven.
     Many people have been mislead to believe that perfection means without fault or failure, but that is not always the case. For example, the Bible calls Noah a "perfect and just" man. If you have ever read the book of Genesis then you know that Noah was not without fault. Genesis 6:9 tells us that Noah was perfect in that he "walked with God." In the same way God tells Abraham in chapter 17 to "walk before me and be thou perfect". Abraham and Noah were imperfect people, but because they chose to walk with God, they were made perfect and were able to fulfill God's plan for their lives. God wants to work in your life the same way He did in Noah and Abraham's lives. Come to Him just as you are - perfectly imperfect. Surrender you life to Christ and watch as He transforms your imperfections into perfect vessels that can be used for His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment