Saturday, January 15, 2011

Honest to God

     I downloaded a free Bible application onto my iPod yesterday, thinking it would be a simple "pocket bible" that I could carry with me every day. Once it had finished downloading I saw that it also came with many reading plans and daily devotions. So, I began browsing through the different devotions - trying to find one that best suited me. Finally I came to the Life Application Study Bible Devotion and God began to speak. The scripture reference was Psalm 6:6 which reads, "I am worn out from sobbing. All night I flood my bed with weeping, drenching it with my tears." I have read almost all of the Psalms, but I was unfamiliar with this one. However, I was completely captured by David’s honest humility before God. I highly recommend that before you continue reading this, please go read chapter 6. I hope it speaks to your heart as much as it did mine. Anyway, the devotion that accompanied the verse said,

"Pouring out his heart with tears, David was completely honest with God. We can be honest with God even when we are filled with anger or despair because God knows us thoroughly and wants the very best for us. Anger may result in rash outward acts or turning inward towards depression. But because we trust in our all-powerful God, we don't have to be victims of circumstance or be weighted down by the guilt of sin. Be honest with God, and he will help you turn your attention from yourself to him and his mercy."
-Life Application Study Bible ® Devotion

     I was amazed after reading this; it spoke great truth to my heart. Here's what I got from it... God already knows everything there is to know about us, so why do we try to conceal the truth from Him? We need to pour ourselves out to Him like David did. There is no need to paint a pretty picture for God on the outside when He already knows deepest, darkest inner secrets. Cry out to God when you're sorrowful and scream out your frustrations to Him. Don't try to be someone you're not. God knows you (and loves you) just the way you are. Being a Christian means being in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. You must get to know Him personally, as well as allow Him to know you personally. Don't hide from Him like Adam and Eve did in the Garden of Eden. Open up to Him and let Him have control in your life. God is the closest friend you will ever have. He is a friend that sticks closer than a brother and He longs to be your crying shoulder. He is waiting patiently for you to cast all your cares on Him. Be honest to God and allow Him to minister in your life.

3 comments:

  1. I needed to read this...because it applies to me! I try to conceal my true feelings everyday and honestly it's exhausting! I've run out of energy and the light in my life has been so dim that I can't see. Thanks for shining a light in my direction! Love you~ Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyy! I just wanted to encourage you too keep doing what you're doing! I've read a couple of your posts and they encourage me to apply whats in
    them! So keep up the good work! I also have read a couple of comments and I know God uses you to reach many! So God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much!! It means so very much to get comments like this... I pray that God will continue to use me to reach others. It is such a blessing, and I pray for his blessings on you as well.

    ReplyDelete