Friday, November 5, 2010

Plead for More: Become Addicted to God

God moment!
I've already got Blogger opened, I've got my favorite grooveshark playlist on shuffle, I'm about to begin my study on becoming "addicted to God" - and guess what song begins to play?? "Better than Drugs" by Skillet... no lie! Needless to say, God has given me confirmation.

The idea for this study came to me a few years ago while on a mission trip with my youth group. During one of the evening services the worship leader prayed "God, we plead for more of you." That phrase stuck with me for a long time - plead for more. What did it mean? As always, God revealed himself to me through His Word. He led me to Psalms 63. The first verse reads, "O God , thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land where no water is."

God moment #2!
"Core of my Addiction" by Fireflight just started playing... no lie! You can't tell me God doesn't speak through music!

First of all... the dictionary definition of "plead" its to "beg earnestly" ("earnestly" is defined as "serious and sincere in you actions, words, or intentions; in a determined and purposeful way"). If you have ever read through the book of Psalms then you know that David understood the definition of pleading with God. Poem after poem, song after song - David cries out for help, comfort, and restoration from God. He begged earnestly - and he received. Psalm 63 was written while David was in the wilderness of Judah. Despite being in a "dry and thirsty land where no water is", David is thirsting only after the Living Water. In verse 3 he says, "Thy loving-kindness is better than life". In other words, as long as he had the Love of God, he didn't care whether he lived or died. David was living a life of continuous praise -"early will I seek thee" (v.1) and "mediatate on thee in the night" (v.6). David wasn't just sold out for God, he was addicted. To be "addicted" is to be "dependent" or "very enthusiastic or interested in a particular thing; devoting a lot of time to it." David was completely and totally dependent upon God alone. He devoted every moment of his day to giving God praise - God was the first thing on his mind in the morning, and the last thing on his mind at night. Even in the desert, he sought God above his own physical needs. He literally loved God more than life itself. If you want revival in your personal relationship with God then follow in David's foosteps - plead for more & become addicted to God.

*Reading Recomendation:
     -Psalm 63
     -Psalm 42
*Music Recomendation:
     -"Better than Drugs" by Skillet
     -"Core of My Addiction" by Fireflight

No comments:

Post a Comment