Monday, November 8, 2010

Anchor of Hope


"We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure..."
-Hebrews 6:19

     I find it amazing how at times our spiritual journey almost seems to parallel our earthly journey (or vice versa). As part of my personal bible study recently, I have been studying the hope we have in Christ. In my search, I became increasingly interested in the idea of the anchor as a symbol for hope. As a born-again Christian I do not believe in "coincidence" - I prefer to use the phrase "It's a God thing!" God works in mysterious ways, and sometimes He uses "coincidence" or "irony" to reveal his plan to us. Well, shortly after I began my study on hope, we began to study early Christian symbolism in my art class. One day while studying I found the sketching of an anchor in my workbook with the word "hope" written below. It's a God thing!
     It is believed that the symbolism of the anchor began with a simple play on words in the Greek language. The Greek word for anchor is "ankura" and the Greek phrase "en kurio" means "in the Lord". Early Christians were persecuted for their beliefs, and therefore were forced to use metaphorical symbols to signify their beliefs. The epitaphs of many early Christians were engraved with the image of an anchor - suggesting that they now rested "in the Lord".
     So how does the anchor relate to the Christian faith nowadays? The shape of the anchor and it's resemblance to the cross of Christ is a reminder of where our hope lies. Galations 2:20 says, "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live..." and Romans 8:24 says, "For we are saved by hope..." Without Christ's death on the cross, we would be hopeless. Not only is the shape of the anchor important, but the literal purpose and function of the anchor in important to the Christian faith as well. The anchor is designed to secure a ship, especially in the midst of a storm, and can also be used to control a drifting vessel. The earliest forms of anchors were made of solid rock. Christ is our solid rock, and just as the house built on solid rock will remain firm, so will the anchor of solid rock. Christ is neverchanging - He is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. If we place our hope in Him, we will be assured calmness in the midst of storm because of His steadfast and unwavering love. We are the vessels of Christ, and even when we stray, His anchor of hope will pull us back in and secure us firmly in Him.

1 comment: