Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Preparation of Peace

"Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established."
-Proverbs 4:26

     I usually walk with my head down. It's not because I'm purposely avoiding people, and I'm not sad or depressed. I'm just clumsy. Seriously. My past experiences have taught me that I tend to trip when I get confident and start looking around while I'm walking. Up the stairs. Down the stars. Cracks in the sidewalk. Bumps in the road. It happens. But, if I keep my head down I can see what's ahead of me. I know where I'm going and I know what stumbling blocks to avoid. Life is the same way.
     I've been studying the Armor of God recently, and it says to have your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace. If you took out the word "preparation" the verse would still make sense, but it's there for a reason. The word "preparation" is especially important because following Christ is not a peaceful journey. There are moments of peace along the way, but mostly you're just preparing for the peace that comes when you reach your final destination. It's a learning process. There are bumps in the road. You will fall down a few times, but there is a purpose in it all. God is preparing you for something greater than yourself. He is taking you somewhere, and He wants to grow you along the way. He wants to teach you, so let Him.
     Study His Word. Talk to Him daily. Let Him talk to you, and listen to what He has to say. Before long you will learn how to avoid the potholes. In time, you will even begin to develop a vision of the road ahead. You will have a better understanding of where you're going and how you're going to get there. Eventually, you won't have to always walk with your head down. You'll be strong enough in your faith, confident enough in your God, that you will be able to lift up your head from time to time and look around without stumbling. Don't get me wrong, there will still come times when the bumps catch you by surprise. You may even fall flat on your face a time or two. But God is standing close by, and He's always ready and willing to pick you up.
     Don't live your life in a constant search for peace. It will never come, and you'll always end up disappointed. Life isn't about finding peace; it's about preparing for peace. Ultimate peace only comes when this life is over. Until then, enjoy the journey. Let the road reveal itself to you. Let God pick you up when you fall. Learn from your mistakes and move on. It's all worth it in the end... an ETERNITY of peace awaits you!

No comments:

Post a Comment