Thursday, March 17, 2011

Holy Spirit, Rain Down!

     I heard a message the other day that compared the Holy Spirit to rain and/or water. The preacher took several different biblical stories in which water was involved and replaced it with the Holy Spirit. In one example he said that the the mother of Moses had to place her faith in the Holy Spirit (Nile River) to protect her son and keep him safe from harm. The Holy Spirit/River not only protected her son, but also sent him directly to the King's Palace. It was a very powerful comparison. I had never really considered the concept before, but the more I thought about it the more it made perfect sense.
     I haven't been able to get the idea off my mind since then. In fact, my mind went all the way back to Genesis. In the beginning, there was no need for rain. God allowed water to bubble up from the center of the earth to water the ground (Genesis 2:5-6). It wasn't until sin entered the picture that rain began to fall from the sky. The first time God "opened the windows of heaven" was when He sent the flood. We should live our lives so that God's Spirit bubbles up from within us, but when we let sin get in the way God has to send His Spirit down in the form of rain in order to get our attention. I took two years of AP English in high school, and one of the most important things we ever learned was symbolism. In literature, it is a well-known fact that rain is symbolic of cleansing, renewal, and restoration. God sent the flood to cleanse the evil of that day and create a new beginning. It is for that same reason that He sends rain into our lives as well. We need to stop recognizing rain as "punishment" and start seeing it for what is truly is - the Holy Spirit of God working in our lives.
     God's Spirit convicts our heart and chastises us when we need correction because God is just and jealous for us. But He also loves us unconditionally, and He will wrap us in His arms and protect us just as He did with baby Moses on the Nile River. It may be rainy and bleak in your spiritual life right now, but remember that the Holy Spirit is guiding us to King's Palace and after every storm comes a rainbow. Just as He allowed Moses to part the Red Sea, the Holy Spirit can make a way when there seems to be no way.
    Take time today and thank God for the rain He has sent your way, because the absence of rain is called a drought. If you’re in a spiritual drought it is because you have yet to welcome the Holy Spirit into your life. Without His presence in your life you will forever be in thirst of the Living Water and you will never truly reap the fruits of the Spirit. Acts 2:17 says that in the final days God will pour out His Spirit, so give Him praise for the rain in your life! If you are experiencing a drought, then welcome the Holy Spirit into your life before it's too late and ask Him to rain down in all that you say and do.



“No eye has seen, no ear has heard. No mind can know what God has in store. So open up Heaven and open it wide, over your church and over our lives. Let Your power fall, let Your voice be heard. Come and change our hearts as we stand on Your Word. Holy Spirit, rain down!”
–Hillsong United

***

“Bring me joy, bring me peace, bring the chance to be free. Bring me anything that brings You glory. And I know there'll be days when this life brings me pain, but if that's what it takes to praise You - Jesus, bring the rain!”
–Mercy Me

6 comments:

  1. This was amazing! What awesome symbolism! I thank God for the rain and I pray that He pours His Holy spirit down on me. I will definitely be sharing this one!!! I am so proud of you and I love you!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Karis, God is really using you in a mighty way. Thank you for sharing!

    love,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. THAT IS AMAZING. i have been dealing with a fear of thunderstorms, well i just got confirmation that it is my flesh that is scared of the rain (holy spirit).. thank you so very much

    ReplyDelete
  4. So proud of you. I really needed this today.. Love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW Karis, I just read your post, girl you are deep, I love it!!!! The song just popped into my head that says, Let the river flow, let the river flow, Holy Spirit come and move in power, let the river flow. You have much Wisdom girl, you hold on tight to it. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi May I ask about the image of the woman in the rain. Which song video and who is the singer thanks Daleen

    ReplyDelete