Friday, August 31, 2012

Death is Necessary

     The power of God's Word is amazing. It absolutely amazes me. I love it when He shows me something I've never seen before. I love it when He shows me a new perspective on something I've seen a million times before. I love it when scripture speaks to my heart, and inspires my soul. I love it when I come across something I need to hear, at exactly the time I need to hear it. I love it. There is power in the Word of God. It absolutely leaves me speechless. It leaves me in awe. The Creator of the universe, speaking directly to me, through words penned down by men thousands of years ago - words that were inspired by the Holy Spirit of God,  How awesome is that?!
     
Take this passage that I came across today for example:
"But Christ being come a high priest of good things to come, by a GREATER AND MORE PERFECT tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building; neither by the blood of goats and calves, BUT BY HIS OWN BLOOD he entered in ONCE into the holy place, HAVING OBTAINED ETERNAL REDEMPTION for us. For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of a heifer sprinkling the unclean SANCTIFIETH to the PURIFYING of the flesh: HOW MUCH MORE shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit OFFERED HIMSELF WITHOUT SPOT to God, purge your conscience FROM DEAD WORKS to serve THE LIVING GOD?" ~ Hebrews 9:11-14
 There is so much power packed into just a few short verses. It goes on to say,
"And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that BY MEANS OF DEATH, for the REDEMPTION OF THE TRANSGRESSIONS that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the PROMISE OF ETERNAL INHERITANCE. For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth."(15-17)
      Okay. First of all, I want to take a look at the word "testament" - how many times have I used this word and never even really understood what it meant?? I've been in church my whole life, I took a Bible History class in high school, and I took Old Testament and New Testament courses in college. Yet it wasn't until I read this scripture today that I really grasped the meaning of it. I never even considered that the testament of the Bible has the same meaning as a Last Will and Testament. It is basically a covenant, a promise, declaring who inherits all of your belongings when you die. Well, what good is a will if you never die? It's just a sheet of paper, an empty promise. SO IS THE WORD OF GOD. God's Word is a promise to His children, and He could only fulfill this promise by sending His son to this earth to live a perfect life and die for the pardoning of our sins. Could ten thousand angels have come and took Jesus off the cross, and carried Him away to Heaven? Absolutely. But His death was necessary in order for us to be forgiven of our sins. His death was necessary in order for us to inherit eternal life. His death was necessary in order for us receive the free gift of salvation. His death was necessary in order for us to have direct access to His presence. He became the mediator. He purchased our redemption. His death fulfilled the promise, and enforced His will - making us His inheritors. His death ensures our eternal life.
     But, just as a testament without death is meaningless - so is our testimony. If you have never died to your self, then you have never truly accepted the inheritance that Christ promised to you. You must first lay down your life. Spiritually, you must die to the sins of this world. Lay those sins down, pick up the cross of Jesus Christ and follow Him. Forgiveness is waiting for you. Redemption is waiting for you. But more than that, hope is waiting for you. Hope is waiting for you, because God didn't let death become the end of His story. He arose from the grave three days later, giving us the hope of a future, and assuring us that He alone has power over the grave.
     Have you taken the necessary steps in order to assure that your testimony is strengthened and enforced? Christ already made the way. He became the sacrifice, and paid the price that we could not pay ourselves. Have you accepted His offer? The promise of eternal life, that never-ending inheritance, can be yours. All you have to do is pray. Admit that you are a sinner. Confess your sins to Him. Profess that you believe in His death and resurrection. It's that simple. Christ already signed the Last Will and Testament. He signed it with His blood. All that's waiting is your signature. Will you make the choice to die to your sins? Christ will make you a new creation. He will give you a new life greater than anything you could ever imagine.

"Life is a maybe. Death is for sure. Sin is the cause. Christ is the cure."

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."
~ Galatians 2:20 ~


1 comment:

  1. WOW~ It never ceases to amaze me, how God speaks through you. With every written word a tear welled up in my eyes and with every word spoken in silence the more I began to cry. The Holy Spirit wrapped His arms around me and filled me with a glimpse of your compassion for Christ. You breathed in me, once again a new perspective of the importance salvation. Without Him we are Nothing! Thank you for your obedience and conviction to express God's infinite love for us! Death is necessary, so that we may live the abundant life God has intended for us!
    ~Love you more than you could imagine KK~
    Aunt LeeLee

    ReplyDelete